The Utah Film and Media Arts Coalition
is committed to building a world-class facility in downtown Salt Lake City, a statewide resource dedicated to the creation and exhibition of independent film and new media. This facility would house film arts organizations providing core programming dedicated to film and media arts, to emphasize the core components of film exhibition, education and entertainment, established under one roof, including:
- Film Programming: independent, international and documentary film exhibition
- Community Outreach: free screenings and education programs including access to film for underserved communities in the state
- Film and Media Arts Education: classes and workshops for children, youth and adults on film research and appreciation, screenwriting, film production and emerging media arts and technology
- Independent Film Archive and Reference Library: a newly-created archive dedicated to preserving the history of independent film with access to materials for scholarly and student research
- Office space for production companies making films in Utah and office space for post licensed digital media technologies spinning out of educational institutions
This hybrid model of business development would allow tenant organizations to redirect their resources to serve a larger population and to support new film and media start up ventures. The facility would generate economic revenue and propel Utah to the leading edge in media arts, assisting in the growth of well-established businesses and encouraging incremental new investment in the film industry in Utah.